LC Comments, 1.2.4, editorial

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 20:07:38 +0100
To: public-webarch-comments@w3.org

""""It is common for programmers working with the Web to write code
that generates and parses these messages directly. It is less common,
but not unusual, for end users to have direct exposure to these
messages. This leads to the well-known "view source" effect, whereby
users gain expertise in the workings of the systems by direct exposure
to the underlying protocols."""

syntax of the messages, not to the protocols. For example, I can view
the source of the *sequencing*. I can sniff the protocol to get
exposure to the activity of the protocol, but that's a different, and
more difficult, thing. However, it is useful, as those who've used
telnet to debug HTTP interactions, for example, know.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.