Re: [manifest] screen sizes, Re: Review of Web Application Manifest Format and Management APIs

On 27 May 2012, at 22:07, Guilherme Vieira wrote:

> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> - If its easy to bypass, why bother with it?  (I once wrote a greasemonkey script that let the Chrome Store work on Firefox :)
>
> What's the problem? If I understood correctly, the feature is important so that users don't end up opening apps with improper devices simply because it would not work fully (as in the case of the Chrome Store being opened on Firefox), or because the app would look completely broken due to not being designed for that screen size, etc.

Sorry, I didn't really make that very clear - in that case Google had created an app format specific to Chrome, however with only a few small tweaks they could run on anything (i.e. actually work). It just needed a hack to make that happen. (I actually converted Chrome installed apps into W3C widgets...)

> If you really want to open just for fun on something else, to see if the app really does not work in a given browser, and things like that... well, you're free to. But we shouldn't let "normal" users end up in such a situation easily, right?

I understand the intention, which is to give web app developers some means of steering users away if they are using a device they don't think will work well for them using the app.

On the other hand, this is the web we're talking about. Everything should work in any browser. And if it isn't quite as beautiful when scaled up, and is a bit cramped when scaled down, thats still far better than nothing at all.

I'm also not sure how this idea is meant to work for users using screen readers or other adaptive technologies.