Re: Explainer: IsLoggedIn (in preparation for TPAC)

Hi Michaela!

> On Sep 12, 2019, at 8:47 AM, Michaela Merz <michaela.merz@rollofone.com> wrote:
> John & Craig -
>
> Thank you for your thoughts. Please excuse my poor choice of words - I understood the principle idea about the browser 'knowing' if a user is logged in - though I am not sure if an 'all knowing' browser is desirable. Additionally - only allowing methods that would require the browser or third parties 'remembering' the user name and/or password is IMHO a bad idea.

As mentioned in the explainer and pointed out by Craig, IsLoggedIn may also cover cases where the user logs in manually, i.e. no password manager and no WebAuthn.
> Though the paradigm has been softened lately (e.g. autoplay,  Google's Media Engagement Index), I truly believe the browser should be nothing but an instrument through which a user is able to communicate with a web-site.

The browser is the user agent. Its main purpose is to be on the user’s side, not on the website’s side. In the case of browsers with tracking preventions, this means actively deleting website data on the user’s behalf, blocking access to website data, or blocking whole resource loads. I do not agree that the "browser should be nothing but an instrument through which a user is able to communicate with a website” and the WebKit engine is not such an instrument, as exemplified in our Tracking Prevention Policy: https://webkit.org/tracking-prevention-policy/
> Yes - it should try to identify clearly malicious intentions and shield the user from it, but it should not become an instrument that interferes with the web-sites codified intentions unless absolutely necessary.

“Absolutely necessary” may mean different things. But modern browsers take active measures against what websites intend to do in many cases, for instance for user experience (popup blocking, autoplay blocking), security (mixed content blocking, “Not secure” labeling, Safe Browsing, https auto upgrade), and tracking prevention (website data deletion, website data blocking, content blocking).
> A browser 'controlled' ( for the lack of a better word ) login may very well become standard some day. It should never require ANY stored password, be it in the browser or federated. Not even thinking about the greed of (some) governments, what about using a friends computer to login into an account, public terminals and such?

Again, manual logins are covered by the explainer.

   Regards, John