Re: Blocking high-risk non-secure downloads

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 at 05:06, Emily Stark <estark@google.com> wrote:

> "Ignoring SRI..."

If SRI was used, the browser would be able to check the hash automatically
- so that converts the "please check the hash" into something everyone
would actually be doing (as the browser could force it).

Admittedly it does not cover privacy, which HTTPS sort of provides (e.g.
malicious actors observing the network traffic could guess which download
it is based on file size).

But as a starting point... yes, block high-risk non-secure downloads,
but still allow HTTP downloads by simply adding an SRI hash... and of
course you will still allow HTTPS downloads, but maybe you could start with
a warning in the developer tools to push developers in to adding
the integrity attribute as well (e.g. your HTTPS CDN could have been
compromised).

:-)

Craig