Re: Proposal: https://example.com/.well-known/modify-credentials

Hi Matt!

Thanks for your feedback.

> [...]
>
> Having a well-known URL simplifies things considerably in one sense, but there are other risks you introduce. Here are my thoughts:
>
> 1. You would only want to expose the URL within the authenticated scope of a web application. A public API or form might increase the attack surface and could be a good target for brute-force attacks. Since an API can't introduce a CAPTCHA or other prompt in response to a brute-force attack (not that that is a great strategy anyway), providing the endpoint only to authorized users would reduce that exposure. Yes, you can implement a check with a well-known URL and return an HTTP 403 as necessary, but that might not be consistent with the organization's best practices, routing mechanisms, or may not be easy to implement with a 3rd party CMS or other software. Having flexibility with the URL would be important in some cases and allows for easier management of this endpoint as part of the application available to authorized users.
>
> 2. On that same note, having an already-authorized user simplifies the standard. Proprietary MFA or challenge-response schemes that may require multiple requests to complete authentication or that require a smart card or client certificate greatly complicates any standardized protocol. It is much simpler to have a user authenticate to the application using whatever means and then only have to send the current password for the credentials API. A meta tag or HTTP header that points to a password management endpoint could be more flexible, possibly even providing a custom endpoint for each session.
>
> 3. It is also possible that a single service might have several authentication back-ends, depending on the type of user (i.e., business vs personal). You might not know which authentication back-end to use until the user has been identified. Like the previous two points, this could still be accomplished with a well-known URI, but not having to consider or duplicate the routing in the initial authentication step greatly simplifies things.
>
> 4. Then, there is the issue of a possible CSRF attack, especially in cases where a password manager or web browser might be storing the current password. With every application having the same endpoint, massive attacks might be easier to pull off. To prevent this, you would need the site to provide a unique token that must be available before submitting the password change request which means that it would need to be generated on every single page. Of course, you could leave it up to the developers to implement a token, and they might already have a system in place for doing that, but if left to the developers it may never get implemented so the protocol has potentially introduced new attack surface. Having the token a part of the meta tag or HTTP header makes the token an integral part of the specification.

We are not proposing the well-known endpoint to be an API or web service. We are proposing that site owners either serve their existing “Reset password”/“Update credentials” page from the well-known location, or have the well-known location redirect the browser to the existing page. That page can use Captcha, CSRF protection, CSP, and any other security measures available to regular webpages.

The goal is to allow credential management tools to provide a better user experience than having the user manually navigate their way to the “Reset password”/“Update credentials” page.

Does that clarification address your concerns?

   Regards, John