Re: Review for the WebAppSec WG Recharter -- update milestones

Thanks Mike,

I updated the draft charter with these milestones (choosing Q1 2018
where you offered Q4/Q1).
https://github.com/w3c/webappsec/commit/b5a2f59533edb405cf9d328c3d77363a3d59d439

--Wendy

On 02/08/2017 10:31 AM, Philippe Le Hégaret wrote:

> On 2/8/2017 3:53 AM, Mike West wrote:
>> With the caveat that we have never, ever hit a target milestone date
>> (and I think that's both normal and fine (and honestly don't think
>> there's much value in putting dates on things in the first place :) )),
>
> We've been under pressure to make sure Working Groups are able to
> deliver in reasonable amount of time and in more predictable ways based
> on priorities. I do realize that putting milestones on items when we
> don't know the implementation schedules is difficult however. Keep in
> mind that this doesn't mean that every single spec must have a set of
> milestones (more below).
>
>> here are some suggestions for the specs I'm most familiar with:
>
> That's very useful input. Thank you.
>
>> CSP:EE => Q4/Q1; Spec should be solid in Q2, Chrome plans to ship an
>> implementation around the same time. No one else has expressed interest,
>> so I kinda expect this to stall at CR until we're more successful at
>> gaining interest. (It's cool, really. Y'all should try it out!)
>>
>> Clear Site Data => Q4/Q1; Same as CSP:EE. Chrome's implementation is
>> solidifying, spec is solidifying (GitHub is using it already), but I
>> haven't heard anything from other folks recently. I expect it to stall
>> at CR for a while. (This is also cool. Y'all should also try it out!)
>>
>> Suborigins => Q1. Chrome is planning on shipping an experimental trial
>> in the very near future, and the spec seems pretty solid. That said,
>> Joel (again, unfortunately) left Google, and it's not clear whether
>> he'll be as active on the spec as he'd like to be. It's also unclear
>> if any other browser is as interested in it as we are, so I expect
>> this to stall for a bit while we look for interop.
>>
>> Site-Wide Policy => Q2 2018. I suspect that this is going to take some
>> time to get right, but folks on the Chrome team are pretty
>> interested.
>
> My take for those is that, unless we think those items are high
> priorities, I'd rather not assign milestones to them. I would expect to
> get more information from other implementations before committing the
> Group.
>
> Btw, on the Site-Wide Policy, I advise to not list it as a joint
> deliverable. We do get pushback on those nowadays and, unless we feel
> strongly, I'd rather keep things simple. In addition, if WebPerf or IETF
> are interested in the subject, they can always provide input to the spec.
>
>> Mixed Content => Q2. We're basically done with this. Boris had some
>> suggestions for clarifications on a separate thread
>> (https://github.com/w3c/resource-hints/issues/70#issuecomment-275686626,
>> which I'm woefully behind on responding to), but I don't think the
>> behavior will change. We have pretty solid interop, REC should be within
>> reach, assuming the director doesn't renew his principled objections
>> raised in the CR period.
>
> A few of us on the team have been working on the Director's aspect, in
> [...]

Strategy Lead, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
https://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)