Re: On the Insecurity of Whitelists and the Future of CSP

This paper is based on the results that we've discussed a bit at the last
F2F, and which were the original motivation for 'strict-dynamic' -- they
came up in some of the discussions we had here around the feature, so many
folks are probably familiar with the details.

The best outcome I can hope for is if we could consider the past failings
of CSP and think about how we can fix them to build something more useful.
There are lessons that can be applied right away in CSP3 (e.g. promoting
nonces/hashes as a better script blessing mechanism), and some general
takeaways to consider when designing its successor (e.g. avoiding
unnecessary complexity, improving developer understanding of the mechanism
and the security benefits it offers, less ugly syntax, etc).

There's probably also a meta-discussion to be had around the types of
threats we're trying to mitigate, and an attempt to map how various parts
of CSP or other specs address them. For example, there's almost never a
security benefit of setting img-src, and it adds maintenance overhead and
risks breakage when URLs change, but it's present in a large majority of
policies; refocusing on the few bits that actually improve security would
be really beneficial for the ecosystem.

As a final meta-note I think so far we've been fairly lucky as an industry
that malicious exploitation of XSS has been fairly limited (for many
reasons; long story). However, we're giving webapps access to more powerful
APIs and keep blurring the line between the web and native apps (we're
already in a situation where XSS in some webapps is equivalent to remote
code execution on the user's device) so these attacks will become more
compelling. The web platform should really have stronger defenses against a
class of vulnerabilities that's simultaneously the most common and the most
damaging; solving other problems but not addressing this one means we're
not serving our users as well as we should.

-A