Re: [secure-contexts] `*.localhost` + DNS

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Craig Francis <craig.francis@gmail.com>
wrote:

> As a developer that works on multiple websites, I have a wildcard DNS
> entry that points `projectABC.laptop.example.com
> <http://projectabc.laptop.example.com>` to 127.0.0.1 (as an aside it
> resolves to 192.168.0.5 for the browsers in a VM).
>
> I would like this setup, where the DNS does resolve to 127.0.0.1, to be
> considered a secure origin, so I can easily develop websites without having
> to setup HTTPS on my local machine (I suspect I will need to anyway, but
> though I'd mention it).

Understood. This is something we've resisted offering in the past due both
to conceptual complexity, as well as nondeterministic behavior. It would be
difficult for you to understand why, for instance, `
project.laptop.example.com` was secure when it pointed to `127.0.0.1`, but
not when it pointed to `192.168.0.5`, because that resolution is completely
opaque to you, the user.

A better solution, I think, is for browser vendors to provide an override
mechanism for origins you specifically care about: Chrome
has `--unsafely-treat-insecure-origin-as-secure="
http://project.laptop.example.com"`, and I assume Safari, Opera, Firefox,
and Edge could be prevailed upon to provide similar controls as suggested
in https://www.w3.org/TR/secure-contexts/#development-environments.

-mike