Re: Making it easier to deploy CSP.

As a quick update, we are currently testing 'unsafe-dynamic' on a few
user-facing sites, including https://bugs.chromium.org

The relevant bits of the policy are:
https://www.gstatic.com/recaptcha/api2/ 'unsafe-dynamic'; object-src 'none';

On bugs.chromium.org the main application change was to add the `nonce'
attribute to trusted external scripts, e.g.
<script src="https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js" nonce="..."></script>

The ReCAPTCHA API loads additional external sub-scripts, and
'unsafe-dynamic' allows them to execute. This has two main benefits for the
site:
1. It facilitates creating a policy for users of most JS APIs -- the site
owner doesn't have to figure out the locations of all JS sub-resources
loaded by each API, as long the top-level script is trusted and given a CSP
nonce. It also reduces the potential for breakage if paths of sub-scripts
ever change.
2. It makes for a stricter policy. With 'unsafe-dynamic', dangerous
resources in whitelisted domains [1,2] are no longer a problem because
trust is now based on the presence of a nonce and the whitelist is ignored.

With a policy like the one above, browsers which support CSP, but don't
support nonces will allow scripts to execute based on 'unsafe-inline' and
the source whitelist. Browsers which support nonces but don't support
unsafe-dynamic will ignore 'unsafe-inline' and will rely on the nonce and
the whitelist. Browsers which support unsafe-dynamic will rely solely on
the nonce and will transitively trust dynamically created scripts, and will
additionally ignore the whitelist.

Based on what we have seen so far this appears to be a fairly promising
approach and we will experiment with it in larger applications in the near
future.

Cheers,
-Artur

[1]