Re: Request for comments: Permission Delegation to Iframes

Thanks Richard!

> Do we even need an API here?  It seems like you could achieve the same
> effect with less back-and-forth / code changes by stipulating that
> permissions requested from iframe are only valid in the scope of the
> top-level page.

I'm assuming you mean scoping the permission to the combination of
top-level and requesting origin? I don't think that achieves the same
effect as this proposal. We already use that model for several permissions
in Chrome and it's problematic. One of the main problems we're trying to
address is that users don't understand composability very well. They don't
know what it means for an embedded origin to request permission: they don't
understand who they are giving access to and it's unclear how that decision
will persist. When that decision is persisted, we have to expose it in the
UI ("granted geolocation to x.com embedded in y.com"). That is hard for
people to understand too. These are some of the problems we're trying to
address which are inherent to combination scoping.

With this proposal, people would only have to grant/manage permissions for
the top-level origin. This is a model people have a better chance of
understanding. The responsibility for sharing permission with an iframe is
given to the embedder of the iframe. This is why a delegation API is
necessary.

Cheers,
Raymes