Re: Finalizing the shape of CSP ‘unsafe-dynamic’

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 7:39 PM, Devdatta Akhawe <dev.akhawe@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My understanding was that 'unsafe-dynamic' will just allow all code
> inserted (not parser generated) scripts to just run. The browser doesn't
> really care where the original script that inserted the new script tag came
> from. So, script-src https://foobar.com/ 'unsafe-dynamic' will allow
> inserting a script tag pointing to cdn.foobar.com too. Same with
> hash-src, nonce-src etc etc.

Pretty much, with the caveat that in the example policy above
https://foobar.com/ would be dropped from the whitelist, and no script
would be allowed to run: "[in the presence of 'unsafe-dynamic'] host-source
and scheme-source expressions, as well as the 'unsafe-inline'
keyword-source will be ignored when loading script".

Because host-source and scheme-source is ignored, effectively the only way
a policy with 'unsafe-dynamic' can allow a script to run is to bless it
with a nonce, hash, or by loading a script dynamically (from a script which
was allowed to execute via a nonce, hash, or was itself loaded dynamically).