Re: Limiting requests from the internet to the intranet.

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 5:10 AM, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 12:07 AM, Erik Nygren <erik+w3@nygren.org> wrote:
>
>> MDNS names (such as "example.local") also provide a way to get at these
>> resources without needing to probing adjacent address space since they may
>> resolve to public IPv4 or public IPv6 addresses.  One way of tackling those
>> could be to treat ".local" names as all being private regardless of what
>> IPs they resolve to.
>>

> Adding `.local` makes sense to me, thanks!
>

>> I agree that there are some cases like localhost in particular where this
>> is straight-forward (and especially valuable as part of a "(http,localhost)
>> as secure origins for sub-resources but requiring CORS" story).
>>

> Right. I think I noted in the doc that enforcing these limitations would
> make me happier about not blocking `http://[loopback]` as mixed content.
> I'm not happy at all about doing that in the status quo.
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Nottingham, Mark <mnotting@akamai.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Are we trying to defend against the case where an attacker looks at the
>>> global IPv6 address of the UA and then crafts the attack to probe adjacent
>>> space (i.e., within the delegated prefix)?
>>>

> I would like to do this. It sounds like y'all are telling me that that's
> hard to do in a well-defined way.
>

>> Or are we just trying to provide (imperfect) defence in depth against
>>> attacks against sloppy local services that assume being behind NAT means
>>> they're safe?
>>>

> Certainly this.
>

>> I think Richard is on a pretty good path -- expose the primitives that we
>>> have reasonably easy access to, and figure out reasonable default
>>> behaviours for each.
>>>

> I still don't follow Richard's proposal. What do you think he's
> suggesting? :)

I would also be interested to know what Erik thought I was suggesting, but
let me try to explain what I meant:

- Spec defines a few categories of address space / source ("global",
"private", "loopback", "link-local", "dot-local")
- A CORS header like Access-Control-Allow-Network can allow access from any
of these tokens

I'm not sure I really think this is the best idea, but in any case, wanted
to be clearer.

--Richard