Re: Header size and policy delivery

I don't necessarily see the "baseline" CSP being orthogonal to "sources
lists that chew up all the bytes". Yes, we have a fair number of directives
(and growing each time directive support is added to browsers) and each of
those directives may contain a fair number of sources. However, the
baseline could encompass both aspects. For example, here is our current
policy:

default-src *; base-uri 'self'; connect-src 'self' live.github.com wss://
live.github.com uploads.github.com status.github.com api.github.com
www.google-analytics.com api.braintreegateway.com
client-analytics.braintreegateway.com github-cloud.s3.amazonaws.com;
font-src assets-cdn.github.com; form-action 'self' github.com
gist.github.com; frame-src 'self' render.githubusercontent.com
gist.github.com checkout.paypal.com; img-src 'self' data:
assets-cdn.github.com identicons.github.com www.google-analytics.com
checkout.paypal.com collector.githubapp.com *.githubusercontent.com *.
gravatar.com *.wp.com; media-src 'none'; object-src assets-cdn.github.com;
script-src assets-cdn.github.com; style-src 'self' 'unsafe-inline'
'unsafe-eval' assets-cdn.github.com

Of the above, here is the part that I'd anticipate we would leave mostly
static across pages:

default-src *; base-uri 'self'; font-src assets-cdn.github.com; script-src
assets-cdn.github.com; style-src 'self' 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval'
assets-cdn.github.com; img-src 'self' data: assets-cdn.github.com
identicons.github.com www.google-analytics.com checkout.paypal.com
collector.githubapp.com *.githubusercontent.com *.gravatar.com *.wp.com;
media-src 'none'; object-src assets-cdn.github.com; connect-src 'self'
live.github.com wss://live.github.com status.github.com api.github.com
www.google-analytics.com; frame-src 'self' render.githubusercontent.com
gist.github.com;

And here are the directives I foresee us wanting to customize in the future
based on the specific request:

connect-src
form-action

So, it would be nice to have a manifest that allows us to store/reference
the base policy (directives plus source lists) and have some means of
customizing/overriding the policy for specific pages. I was thinking of
something like this:

CSP manifest:

baseline-policy default-src *; base-uri 'self'; font-src
assets-cdn.github.com; script-src assets-cdn.github.com; style-src
csp-manifest-baseline-style-srcs; img-src csp-manifest-baseline-img-srcs;
connect-src csp-manifest-baseline-connect-srcs; frame-src
csp-manifest-baseline-connect-srcs

baseline-style-srcs 'self' 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval'
assets-cdn.github.com

baseline-img-srcs 'self' data: assets-cdn.github.com identicons.github.com
www.google-analytics.com checkout.paypal.com collector.githubapp.com *.
githubusercontent.com *.gravatar.com *.wp.com; media-src 'none'

baseline-connect-srcs 'self' live.github.com wss://live.github.com
status.github.com api.github.com www.google-analytics.com

baseline-frame-src 'self' render.githubusercontent.com gist.github.com;

Then, the CSP header in a typical non-customized response would look
something like:

some sort of hash makes sense too)

And, let's say we want to customize a specific page to allow an additional
connect-src. We could do that by overriding connect-src specifically:

connect-src csp-manifest-baseline-connect-srcs uploads.github.com

That is what I had in my head in very broad strokes. For the bulk of our
requests that would take our CSP header size from 759 bytes to 40-50 bytes.
Assuming we customize form-action on each page, we would still only be
looking at something closer to 100 bytes. And, I anticipate that the
majority of CSP additions would be added to our baseline policy. So, the
growth of the actual header should be nominal.