Re: Limiting requests from the internet to the intranet.

MDNS names (such as "example.local") also provide a way to get at these
resources without needing to probing adjacent address space since they may
resolve to public IPv4 or public IPv6 addresses.  One way of tackling those
could be to treat ".local" names as all being private regardless of what
IPs they resolve to.

In the IPv6 world you can generally replace "NAT" with "Firewall".
Scanning is still fairly straight-forward to find devices  (eg, if you know
a printer manufacturer with a vulnerability and the printer isn't using
privacy addressing, you
know what EUI-64 host-id range to scan within the delegated prefix of the
UA.
It is bigger, but certainly doable in javascript.)

I agree that there are some cases like localhost in particular where this
is straight-forward (and especially valuable as part of a "(http,localhost)
as secure origins for sub-resources but requiring CORS" story).

      Erik