Re: Making it easier to deploy CSP.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 12:55 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 14 February 2016 at 16:39, Devdatta Akhawe <dev.akhawe@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Personally, my preference for increasing complexity is in the order---web
> > apps and then browsers and then standards.
>
> The priority of constituencies would (perfectly) disagree on this point.
>
> https://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/#priority-of-constituencies
>
> The thing I'm trying to wrap my head around is how this fits with the
> general CSP design pattern.  How does adding this directive narrow the
> set of things that are permitted?  It actually appears to do the
> opposite.  The purpose being to give dynamically inserted scripts an
> exemption.

In a way, the directive would indeed expand the set of scripts which can be
loaded -- because scripts added dynamically to the page by previously
trusted scripts wouldn't be be subject to the script-src whitelist. At the
same time, point #2 in Mike's original description proposes ignoring the
whitelist altogether in the presence of unsafe-dynamic. This, in turn,
narrows down which scripts can be loaded by the page so that *only* those
with a nonce/hash, and their descendants, would be allowed to load.

In principle, unsafe-dynamic could propagate trust to dynamically created
scripts without affecting the whitelist, so that you could have *both* a
script-src whitelist and unsafe-dynamic to allow loading of additional
trusted scripts from outside of the whitelist. The problem with that
approach is that it doesn't allow you to create a policy that would be both
secure and backwards-compatible for browsers which don't support
unsafe-dynamic; if you remove the whitelist then the page will break in
older browsers, and if you keep both the whitelist and unsafe-dynamic then
the policy will still be as insecure as your original whitelist.

BTW, a side assumption is that if you can add nonces to static <script>
elements to "bless" them for unsafe-dynamic, it is feasible to add them to
all static script blocks on the page. This way you can fully rely on nonces
to confer trust, rather than on the whitelist.