Re: HSTS priming vs preloading

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Richard Barnes <rbarnes@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Ben Wilson <ben.wilson@digicert.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean that there is consensus that
>> preloading HSTS should occur before checking for mixed content?
>>

> I'll assume that by "preloading HSTS", you mean "HSTS upgrades".  In that
> case, I wouldn't say there's consensus yet, but that's where we're trying
> to get.
>

>> Also, I’m assuming that this discussion is related to the proposal found
>> here - https://www.w3.org/TR/upgrade-insecure-requests/.
>>

> This is the better one.  Still very much at draft stage:
>
> https://mikewest.github.io/hsts-priming/

I think we've established in this discussion that implementing HSTS priming
would mean that preloaded HSTS sites would all "just work" because the
browser would never have to send out the priming request.

However, the underlying issue driving HSTS priming (and why the HSTS check
currently comes after mixed content checking) is to make it so users have
deterministic and consistent experiences. Since preloading also guarantees
that consistency, you could also imagine an interim step being taken,
before this priming proposal is finalized and before the priming ping is
implemented anywhere, where preloaded HSTS is put ahead of mixed content
checking.

-- Eric

--
konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>