Re: Iframes and credit card security

I’ve been told by folks that live in “compliance land” that you must
separate the notion of “logical” and “compliance”. Compliance is compliance
and little else. The solutions might very well make a site PCI compliant,
but they don’t necessarily mean much more than that. For example, some
providers have supported a solution like this:
https://www.braintreepayments.com/blog/client-side-encryption/. In this
scenario, the underlying assumption is that your application has not been
compromised and can’t be tricked into encrypting the CC details using some
attacker controlled public key. My understanding is that this solution was
acceptable for PCI compliance for quite a while (no clue on where that
stands today). In short, the best these solutions offer is prevention
against accidental mishandling of plaintext card numbers. In other words,
assuming you are not compromised, these kinds of solutions (iframe,
client-side encrypted, etc) provide reasonable assurance that plaintext
card numbers don’t get logged inside your infrastructure, etc. But, all of
these solutions fundamentally assume that your application hasn’t been
compromised (i.e. hasn’t been changed to just ask/log cards directly).