Re: CSP 401 Issue

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:
> As I recall, we've tried to do this a few times in Chrome. We've had both
> compatibility issues as well as security issues. Naively suppressing the
> dialog makes it possible to brute-force username/password combinations (as
> the user's never notified, and failures are distinguishable from successes
> via any number of side-channels (nativeWidth, etc)).

Well, that's only the case if you supply a username and password
through the URL. The example I referenced is a URL without those that
results in challenge due to the 401. Making a distinction between the
two might be worthwhile. Though I'd imagine that if we have some CSP
directive it'd block both.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/