Re: HSTS Priming, continued.

Trying to sum up / reply to a couple things here:

With regard to scope and goals: Recall that there are actually two goals
here, (1) allowing HSTS to resolve mixed content issues, and (2) generally
discovering HSTS more frequently.  For me, (2) is lovely, but (1) is the
reason we're here.  The reason we got to priming was that some folks
thought that indeterminacy around HTTP vs. HTTPS was blocking on (1).

However, the only issue with indeterminacy is when you don't know if
something's going to load or not.  That is, the indeterminacy only matters
for *blockable* mixed content.  So given the latency concerns, I would
propose that we focus on that case first, and we can expand to other loads
or navigations later if we want.

I would also note that the non-blocking(1) cases are non-blocking(2) and
non-blocking(3)  :)  If you're not going to block the content, you can do
the priming query in parallel to the normal query, and not block the real
load.  That way, you get the discovery benefit (for subsequent loads) with
no latency hit.  And as discussed above, we don't need to block the change
in HSTS treatment based on them.

With regard to a separate priming request vs. just doing the request: A
separate priming request does incur some additional latency, but it's not
enough to matter.  With h2 or even pipelined h1.1, it's exactly 1xRTT,
since you've already got the connection warmed up.  That seems cheap enough
that it's worthwhile to keep things conceptually simpler.

--Richard