Re: HSTS Priming, continued.

A nice benefit of the priming approach for HSTS is that you do receive a
durable signal which the browser can cache, and which can prevent downgrade
attacks on subsequent connections.  Also consider that some sites may not
set HSTS for every response, but only for well-known app "entry points" (to
optimize network traffic).  So the things that are relied upon as
subresources may not send the HSTS header, but a priming request to "/" is
very likely to.  So with the simple proposal you might get HTTPS
successfully in the absence of an attacker, but never receive an HSTS
signal, and remain vulnerable to downgrade as soon as an attacker appears.