Re: UPGRADE: 'HTTPS' header causing compatibility issues.

> On 30 Jun 2015, at 5:36 pm, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:
>
> Chrome 44 sends an `HTTPS: 1` header, as specced at https://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/upgrade/#preference. It looks like this is causing issues with some folks' servers. These are the bugs I've seen reported so far:
>
> * https://crbug.com/501095

> * https://crbug.com/501842

> * https://crbug.com/504357

> My vague guess is that some configurations set internal variables based on header names (e.g. `HTTPS: 1` => `$HTTPS == 1`), which is confusing the poor programs.

Nice!

Given that CGI and most other sane server APIs put headers in a distinct namespace, this is a special kind of broken for those sites - I can only imagine what you can trick them into doing with a header...

> With this in mind, I think it might be advisable to change the header name, which means diving back into the bikeshed of https://github.com/w3c/webappsec/issues/216. Think we can agree on a name this week?
>
> If we can't, I'll run with `TLS: 1` by royal fiat. :)

WFM; although I kinda just want to break sites like this, I understand how you might not.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham    mnot@akamai.com   https://www.mnot.net/