Re: CfC: Republish MIX as CR; deadline July 29th.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
 wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:
> > What is your understanding of what we agreed on earlier in the thread?
>
> That the service worker can also fetch insecure resources on its own
> without them being passthrough. E.g. to populate the cache in
> anticipation of such requests.

That's not what I think we agreed on. If it was, the discussion around
`window` and `client` would have been shorter and simpler. :)

Passthrough requests seems like a reasonable loophole for folks to drive
through. Preemptive requests expand the scope past a point I think we
should support, given the goal of killing mixed content. It's not something
I'm particularly interested in doing.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:
> > Anne, how do you feel about adding such a property that gets set on copy?
>
> I don't understand the suggestion. When fetch() is used in the service
> worker the context already changes.

In the case where I'm passing a request through from a document, the
incoming Request's `context` will be something like `image`, and the
Service Worker will copy that Request object and pass it to `fetch()`,
which sets a `context` to `fetch`. Rather than examining the `window`
attribute to see if this is a kind of `fetch` we should allow or deny, we
can set some `originalContext` (or whatever) attribute on the new Request
to `image`, and check that when evaluating the outgoing request. That seems
simpler than the current language in the spec, and less likely to
inadvertently change in the future.

-mike