Re: CSP2: Drop 'unsafe-redirect'.

On 07/01/2015 10:12 AM, Mike West wrote:
> Neither Chrome nor Firefox have implemented the `unsafe-redirect` bits of
> CSP2 (see 1.2 of http://www.w3.org/TR/CSP2/#changes-from-level-1).
> Experimentation locally on internal sites leads me to believe that it's not
> going to be web compatible: I didn't find any Google property that used CSP
> which the new behavior wouldn't break in some way.
>
> Moreover, statistics from Chrome show that about 0.7% of page views would
> be affected (trending upwards), which is significantly above the bar that
> Blink has for breaking changes:
> https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/709
>
> We didn't declare it as "at risk" in the CSP2 CR, though we probably should
> have. I think this means that removing the source expression and associated
> behavior is likely a "substantive change"[1], which I think means that we
> need to revise and republish the CR. Wendy, can you confirm that?

I'll double-check with colleagues, but I think you're reading correctly
that this is a substantive change that warrants another short trip
through CR (or 4 weeks, as short as process allows).

> (Note to self: next time, mark the whole spec as "at risk" to make
> deletions take less than a month and a half. :) )

Somehow, I don't think that would pass muster with the Director, no
matter how clever :)

--Wendy

> [1]: http://www.w3.org/2014/Process-20140801/#substantive-change
> [2]: http://www.w3.org/2014/Process-20140801/#revised-cr
>
> --
> Mike West <mkwst@google.com>, @mikewest
>
> Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München,
> Germany, Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der
> Gesellschaft: Hamburg, Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth
> Flores
> (Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)

Policy Counsel and Domain Lead, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
http://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)