Re: [MIX] Require HTTPS scripts to be able to anything HTTP scripts can do.

Tim,

  I'd like to return to this, as the group would like to move Mixed-Content
to Candidate Recommendation and want to be sure you feel your concerns have
been substantively addressed.

  Unfortunately, I don't think we've arrived at a solution for your concern
we can add to the spec.  My read of the conversation so far is that we:

*  Don't have techniques to allow inclusion of arbitrary data to be loaded
insecurely into secure contexts without catastrophically damaging the
actual security guarantees users expect from an https resource.  Data is
special, but many examples demonstrate the danger to users of insecure
data, even if treated with proper care to separate it from code. (which
separation is also not mandatory or even typical on the Web platform)

*  Don't have a way to clearly communicate to users who often struggle to
understand a binary secure/insecure distinction a fuzzy state of "maybe
secure if there are no network attackers"

I think it would be more productive to focus on outreach, removing the
obstacles to upgrading to https ( I asked on the LDP mailing list about
this, with no replies yet:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp/2015Jan/0002.html ) and
perhaps on better algorithms in user agents for optimistic upgrade.

That broader discussion is happening over in the TAG currently with their
draft finding on Transitioning the Web to HTTPS.

Are you satisfied that your concerns have been reasonably addressed?  Do
you feel there was an alternate path forward from this thread that I failed
to extract?

Thank you,

Brad Hill
Co-chair, WebAppSec