From: chaals@yandex-team.ru [mailto:chaals@yandex-team.ru]
Sent: Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:39 AM
To: Mike West
Cc: WebAppSec WG
Subject: Re: Accessibility of security indicators

08.01.2015, 16:18, "Mike West" <mkwst@google.com <mailto:mkwst@google.com> >:

It's certainly an important question, but probably one that's best addressed by filing bugs against individual browser vendors rather than mandating something in a spec.

Agreed, in general…

I've just filed https://crbug.com/447191, for instance.

Then I think it was worth writing here ;) (Thanks for doing that BTW)

That said, https://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/mixedcontent/#requirements-ux has a normative requirement to make security indicators accessible, based on the thread here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/2014Dec/0042.html. Do you think we should say more there?

It would be useful to provide a more general statement asking to ensure that indicators meet accessibility guidelines, *including* being made available through APIs - there are a lot of accessibility issues (like red-green colorblindness, to cite an example raised recently) that don't result in people using an assistive technology through an accessibility API, and in raw numbers such users are probably an order of magnitude more common than those who do use such technology.

Are there other specs the group has produced which should contain similar statements?

Basically anything that talks about UI. So ummm…

Cheers

-mike

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com <mailto:mkwst@google.com> >, @mikewest

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München, Germany, Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg, Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth Flores

(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)