Re: WebAppSec re-charter status

Devdatta Akhawe <dev.akhawe@gmail.com> writes:

> I think asking browsers to implement any distributed information flow
> system is a big ask and to make it a deliverable for this WG an even
> bigger ask. I think creating confined containers (workers or iframes)
> that then allow some JS script to create simple information flow based
> policies is a simpler first step and a more concrete deliverable. Note
> that this in itself is not easy and it is not clear it can even be
> done---see Martin's notes about side-channels.

Sorry, but "confined containers (workers or iframes) that ... allow some
JS script to create simple information flow based policies" is
essentially what the goal of the COWL spec is.

I agree that side channels are a concern if you consider malicious code,
but confining code that is not malicious is still useful. And COWL's
covert-channel assumption is the same as that of the existing CSP
directives that deal with exfiltration. I don't think we need to
eliminate covert channels to improve security.

Cheers,
Deian