Re: [MIX] 4 possible solutions to the problem of Mixed Content Blocking stalling HTTPS deployment

On 02/04/2015 12:10 AM, Mike West wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 8:42 AM, Eric Mill <eric@konklone.com
> <mailto:eric@konklone.com>> wrote:
>
>     This means that CSP would need to be delivered over HTTP, and not
>     by Let's Encrypt (unless LE had a mode explicitly meant for sites
>     to triage HTTPS work).
>

> This is something that can certainly be done now. That is, sending
> /reporting/endpoint` will flood you with the insecure requests your
> site is making, regardless of whether the site itself is delivered
> over HTTP/HTTPS. CSP checks happen before mixed content checks for
> exactly this use case.
FWIW, this is exactly how we detected mixed content at Twitter, and it
worked great. I wrote this up on Stack Overflow ages ago, but I've been
meaning to write a proper blog post about it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4129496/detect-broken-lock-icon-mixed-secure-insecure-content-from-javascript.

What we did in practice: The CSP header for mixed content detection was
sent only on HTTPS requests and only to 1% of live users, to avoid
flooding the endpoint. Also, the same header was set in enforce mode for
100% of employee accounts, so engineers who introduced mixed content
would see it right away (this was before mixed content blocking, though
it continued to be useful for mixed passive content).