Re: Asynchronous decision making (Re: WebAppSec re-charter status)

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org> wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/2014/06/webapps-charter.html#decisions
> > As explained in the W3C Process Document (section 3.3), this group will
> seek to make decisions when there is consensus and with due process. The
> expectation is that typically, an editor or other participant makes an
> initial proposal, which is then refined in discussion with members of the
> group and other reviewers, and consensus emerges with little formal voting
> being required. However, if a decision is necessary for timely progress,
> but consensus is not achieved after careful consideration of the range of
> views presented, the Chairs should put a question out for voting within the
> group (allowing for remote asynchronous participation -- using, for
> example, email and/or web-based survey techniques) and record a decision,
> along with any objections. The matter should then be considered resolved
> unless and until new information becomes available.
> >
> > Any resolution taken in a face-to-face meeting or teleconference is to
> be considered provisional until 10 working days after the publication of
> the resolution in draft minutes sent to the working groups mailing list. If
> no objections are raised on the mailing list within that time, the
> resolution will be considered to have consensus as a resolution of the
> Working Group.
> >
> > This charter is written in accordance with Section 3.4, Votes of the W3C
> Process Document and includes no voting procedures beyond what the Process
> Document requires.

I'm not thrilled with injecting an additional mandatory 10-day delay for
decisions... we're slow enough as-is. :)

In the past, we've generally _confirmed_ decisions on calls (e.g. CfC
issued -> no objections on the list -> confirmed on the next call). Would
we need to wait an additional 10 days to act on that decision in that
context, or would that not be considered a "resolution taken in a ...
teleconference"?

Otherwise, LGTM. :)

-mike

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com>, @mikewest

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München,
Germany, Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der
Gesellschaft: Hamburg, Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth
Flores
(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)