Re: WS/Service Workers, TLS and future apps - [was Re: HTTP is just fine]

1) Encryption between Alice and Bob by means of an asymmetric
public/private key exchange protocol cannot be secure if both also exchange
the keys and none has a method to verify the keys they got are the correct
ones. Chuck who might control the gateway over which either Alice or Bob
communicate can simply substitute his own public key for either of the two.
The whole point of certificates is that the sought out endpoint can provide
a set of credentials that're signed by a certificate authority, which is in
a chain of trust up to the root authority which is implicitly trusted.

2) You cannot obtain the benefits of UDP (out of order packages as fast as
they come) and yet retain the benefits of asymmetric public/private key
encryption schemes which rely on packages arriving in order. Attempting to
get both will result in detrimental performance or non existent security.