From: Mandyam, Giridhar [mailto:mandyam@quicinc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 3:52 PM
To: public-geolocation
Cc: public-webappsec@w3.org; public-web-mobile@w3.org; www-tag@w3.org
Subject: Requiring Authenticated Origins for Geolocation API's: Status

As you may recall if you have been reading this list, there was an open call for comments on requiring authenticated origins for the Geoloc API.  There was one detailed response to this CFC from Martin Thomson of Mozilla (see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2014Nov/0008.html), and some discussion after that.

Since that time, there has been related work coming out of WebAppSec that affects this area:

a)      The Mixed Content document (http://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/mixedcontent/) has continued to evolve.

b)      The Privileged Contexts (“Powerful Features”) document (http://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/powerfulfeatures/) has taken shape as well, with a section on legacy features using Geoloc. as an example:  see http://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/powerfulfeatures/#legacy.  Note that there are specific guidelines for sunsetting support for insecure origins in this section.

While useful, it is hard to determine whether these documents (particularly handling of Legacy Features as described in the Privileged Contexts doc) represent strategies that user agent vendors are willing to implement specifically for Geolocation.  It is also unclear whether developers who are using the Geolocation API will be able to adapt to sunsetting of support for insecure origins.  The feedback received so far on the CFC has not represented enough of the affected parties. Based on this, I would like to continue the call for comments on this list until April 1.

I have CC’ed the WebAppSec group and WebMob group, as there has been similar discussion in both groups.  I’ve also CC’ed the TAG.

-Giri Mandyam, W3C Geolocation Working Group Chair