Re: "Secure Introduction of Internet-Connected Things" (was Re: [webappsec] Agenda for MONDAY Teleconference 2014-10-20, 12:00 PDT)

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Ángel González <angel@16bits.net> wrote:

>> On the bright side, it’s very good that the machine generates a fresh
>> key every time you re-enable HTTPS: That means that the key is not
>> static, or identical on all the routers of the same make or model.

> That still doesn't mean there won't be duplicate keys. It is hard for a
> device to have good entropy after a reset. [1] Did you try resetting it
> a few times and comparing the generated keys?

I know. No, I did not check; I was only concerned that the key was not
hard-coded. Given the many problems with Linux' CRNG, especially but
not only a device like that, I didn't bother checking any further.

>> if a device is only marketable if its price point is so low that it
>> cannot be secure, perhaps it should disable itself after some
>> reasonable life-time
>>
> -1
>
> Users will perceive it as planned obsolescence for business reasons, and
> I wouldn't be surprised if producers treated it like that, too.

Otherwise it's planned unsafety.

Perhaps vendors could open source their abandonware. Even then,
though, most fielded devices would still be unsafe.