Re: [blink-dev] Re: Proposal: Prefer secure origins for powerful new web platform features

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf@coredump.cx>
wrote:

> >> I think the inclusion of file:/// is somewhat problematic, since it is
> >> not implied that the content arrived over a secure channel,
> >
> > Right. "But it's here now." Perhaps we should take file: off the list,
> > perhaps we should find some way to tag files as having come from
> > secure transport, or...
>
> A special problem here is also how to scope the permission if ever
> granted by the user. A permission granted to
> file:///installed_app/bar.html probably shouldn't carry over to
> file:///some/random/downloaded/thing.html.

I believe in Chrome, at least for content settings and similar
origin-scoped permissions, file: URLs are treated as if the entire file
path is the origin, so every file's permissions are unique to it.

I haven't checked this against the code.

PK