Re: Header Policy Vs. Meta tag policy

On 6/12/2014 12:20 AM, Mike West wrote:
> What about 'plugin-types'? What about 'referrer'? What about
> 'frame-ancestors'? I can see value in all three.
> [...]
> It's clearly bad to turn on reporting. Sandboxing is fairly ineffective
> once the page has loaded.

Sandboxing in a page policy would be hard to implement, especially if
the allow-same-origin flag isn't set. If a same-origin parent document
managed to grab a reference to something before the policy was
encountered do we have to track those down and null them out? Add
another level of origin checks to each access "just in case" we hit the
rare occurance of a late-set meta policy?

I thought we had already specified that sandbox would be ignored in a
meta policy, and it should stay that way.

I personally would lump frame-ancestors in with sandboxing as a
header-only directive. I don't want to have to abort parsing and tear
down a document if we encounter one, hoping that whatever the author was
trying to protect wasn't in the bit that already existed.

I think we _do_ need to think about threats for every new directive we
add, just as we have to worry about backwards compatibility. For
simplicity the spec language can assume all directives work everywhere
and we can explicitly call out the exceptions in each individual
directive that's not allowed in a <meta> policy as well as listing them
in the description of the <meta> header.

-Dan Veditz