Re: [REFERRER] Where does "Determine request¢s Referrer" get its URL from?

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014, Mike West wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > Other than [the fundamental objection to JS environment], this seems
> > much closer. One remaining nit is that the API referrer source isn't
> > always a Document, sometimes it's a URL.
>
> Hrm. When does this happen?

Workers.

> https://github.com/w3c/webappsec/commit/68317e6c6df9e81a1f4570bc8bf984660abd4bf0
> hopefully addresses it.

Yeah, looks good, modulo the whole "using a JS environment in the first
place" thing. :-)

I'll let Anne weigh in on that issue.

> > We don't need JS global environments to do this. (What about non-JS
> > workers in the future?)
>
> Is there a proposal for such a thing?

There's always proposals for putting languages other than JS on the Web.
While so far there's not been much cross-vendor support for any one
solution, it seems like a safe bet to assume that eventually something
like that will come along that gets adopted widely.