Re: Removal of the note about extensions

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Mike "Pomax" Kamermans <
pomax@nihongoresources.com> wrote:

>  On 2/24/2014 3:05 PM, Glenn Adams wrote:
>

>   If we had to rephrase, I'd suggest something like "User agents are
>> encouraged to allow users to modify or bypass CSP enforcement, through user
>> preferences and/or third-party additions to the user-agent" so that we're
>> not tied to specifically bookmarklets and extensions.
>

>  I could accept this if "encouraged" were changed to "permitted".
>

> Hmm, do we have another, less loaded word that we can use here? Permitted
> seems to strike the wrong tone (i.e. "we don't want you to, but if you
> absolutely must, fine, it is permitted"). What about simply "may":
>
> "User agents may allow users to modify or bypass CSP enforcement, through
> user preferences and/or third-party additions to the user-agent".

That works. [I interpret "may" as IS PERMITTED BUT NOT REQUIRED to do X.] I
made this suggested change to avoid the biased term "encouraged", which
constitutes a recommendation, and thus is non-neutral. In contrast "may" or
"permitted" is neutral in standards speak.