Re: Public Key Pinning (was Re: [blink-dev] Re: Proposal: Marking HTTP As Non-Secure)

non-security-dev to BCC.

Response inline

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/websec/current/msg02261.html),
> >> Chris Palmer suggested using shame as a security control.
> >
> > No, I did not. I hope that people followed the link and read the post.
>
> Sorry to further this (but its important for me to understand). Here
> was the statement:
>
>     If the device manufacturer is also taking administrative
>     control over devices in the field, then market pressure
>     such as those articles) is the only recourse.
>
> So are you stating market pressure and public humiliation is not shaming?

Chris did not say public humiliation. That is a subjective interpretation,
but is not what was stated.

> Or are you stating that shame is not a security control?
>
> Or something else?
>
> (I agree with "shame is not a security control", but I understand the
> usefulness of shame and public humiliation. It seems other find shame
> useful, too, like Certificate Transparency).

Certificate Transparency is not a shame mechanism. It is a compliment and
technical control to what in theory occurs in an audit, but not in practice.