Re: Proposal: Marking HTTP As Non-Secure

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Monica Chew <mmc@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Chris Palmer <palmer@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Monica Chew <mmc@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I support the goal of this project, but I'm not sure how we can get to a
>> > point where showing warning indicators makes sense. It seems that about
>> > 67%
>> > of pageviews on the Firefox beta channel are http, not https. How are
>> > Chrome's numbers?
>>
>> Currently, roughly 58% of top-level navigations in Chrome are HTTPS.
>

> Thanks for the numbers. That's a significant gap (58% vs 33%). Do you have
> any idea why this might be the case?

It's possible this is due to Firefox not counting same-frame
navigations (fragment change, pushState) as top-level navigations.

I added Navigation.MainFrameSchemeDifferentPage recently which
excludes these navigations, and the fraction of navigations that are
https is significantly lower.

This has only made it to dev channel, so I'm hesitant to put too much
weight on the results at this point. But it might at least be
consistent.

That being said, I'd prefer metrics which would be "Mean Active
Browsing Time Between Warnings" rather than page load based metrics -
both because they may be easier to be consistent, and because it's
possibly closer to a measure of warning fatigue.