Re: Proposal: Marking HTTP As Non-Secure

On 16. des. 2014 21:10, 'Chris Palmer' via Security-dev wrote:
> Well, we do have to make sure that the browser does not send cookies
> to an impostor origin. That's (1 reason) why Chrome uses interstitial
> warnings today.
I've been experimenting with a Chromium patch where the url context is
given two cookie stores,  "standard" and "insecure https" (this being
adapted to the current scheme where we don't warn about http). After the
connection has been established but before the request is sent, the
appropriate cookies are picked from the stores based on the security
state of the connection.  Secure cookies going over a good tls
connection and all http cookies are picked from the "normal" store,
while secure cookies going over a bad tls connection is picked from the
"insecure https" store. This stops secure cookies received on a good
connection from being sent to an imposter origin.

However, to remove the interstitial warning, most offline storages would
have to be separated into two caches, to avoid cache poisoning. Examples
are appcache, service workers, fileapi, dom storage, indexed db and the
standard disk cache. This would be a huge undertaking to get right and
maintain.

Separating the cookie store still has some value even without removing
the interstitial warning though.

>> BTW, have you explicitly contacted other browser teams?
> This mass mailing is that.

Hopefully all the relevant Browser UI teams read these lists.

--
---
Opera Software