Re: Strict mixed content checking (was Re: MIX: Exiting last call?)

<hat=individual>

I think that the iframe behavior as specified in this strawman is not ideal
for the customers of this feature.

My imagination of those customers is that they are mostly publishers and
"content providers" who run 3rd-party ads on their site, and want to make
sure that those ads aren't breaking their padlock.

Unfortunately, the way ads are served many places is basically still in the
stone age.  Publishers get a spreadsheet that lists ad placements, either
as a <script> or <iframe> tag, which someone copy-pastes.  At best, this
insertion is done automatically by some CMS.

Either way, forcing users to modify the attributes of the iframe tag they
get from a 3rd-party supplier is much more difficult than setting a policy
in a header that cascades to descendant contexts.  I know this is neither a
good match for how non-sandbox policies work today in CSP, and neither is
it a great fit to force a document to sandbox itself (even if weakly) in
order to sandbox its descendants.  But I'm also not sure it makes sense to
be able to force a descendant context into strict mode if you aren't strict
(or even secure) yourself.

So my strawman would look more like a CSP directive or standalone header
"strict-context-security" that applies to both the document and all
descendant contexts.

-Brad