Re: Sending a `context` HTTP request header.

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:10:08 +0200
To: Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
Cc: "public-webappsec@w3.org" <public-webappsec@w3.org>
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:
> I haven't thought through the impacts of such a header, but I'd like to make
> sure the suggestion doesn't stay buried in the service worker thread. :)

This could be bad for forward compatibility. E.g. new platform
features would have to be backwards compatible with older interfaces
because otherwise they cannot be used. If a server rejects non-image
fetches it would not be ready for imageset fetches for instance.

(Also in general I would be somewhat hesitant to add new headers for
all fetches we do. They will become cheaper I suppose with HTTP/2, but
to then directly start using that extra bandwidth feels a bit like
everyone leaving the lights all on all the time just because they are
LEDs these days.)

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/