Re: [CSP] Request to amend bookmarklet/extensions sentence in CSP1.1

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 8:32 PM, Daniel Veditz <dveditz@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 7/31/2014 6:24 PM, Philip S Constantinou wrote:
>> Evernote voices our strong opposition to the wording changes regarding
>> extensions and bookmarklets in CSP1.1 and our strong support of
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/2014Jul/0061.html.
>
>> To create a great
>> user experience, our extensions insert JavaScript into the viewers page
>> upon user request. This mechanism risks being broken by the vague
>> extension/bookmarklet wording change proposed in CSP 1.1.

Philip,

Why does your extension inject <script> tags into pages, instead of
doing things other ways that are likely to be much more secure and
which are not blocked by CSP? Is it the case that web browser makers
have made it unclear how to get the equivalent functionality working
in extensions without injecting <script>? Are there limitations in the
extension APIs such that <script> is more powerful? If so, browser
makers may be unaware of those deficiencies. It would be great if you
could share what prevents you from switching to the alternative
mechanisms that browser extension mechanisms provide. I think it is
likely that those deficiencies could be corrected much faster than
anybody could make injected <script> work the way you are expecting.

I think it would be a good idea for representatives of the various
browsers to share links to the their extension API documentation that
show how one can convert an extension from the non-CSP-compatible
injected-<script> approach to the recommended/supported/working
approach.

Cheers,
Brian