Re: [filter-effects][css-masking] Move security model for resources to CSP

On May 30, 2013, at 7:05 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 1:52 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> > OK then, I think we'd have to use a regular non-CORS request and apply
> > strict same-origin checking at time of use.
>
> And on redirects? There's a same-origin mode for that. You could make
> that CORS as well though if that's the default anyway.
>

> > We could however mint a "cors-url(...)" CSS image value which does a CORS
> > fetch and completely fails for cross-origin loads.
>
> You want to succeed for cross-origin fetches if they opt into CORS,
> no? But I'm not sure cors-url() is needed. It's only needed if the
> default is tainted cross-origin fetches.
>
> That's what images currently do, so I think that needs to be the default.

Daniel Holbert asked me an interesting question yesterday: Do external SVG resources (filter, mask, clip-path) behave like stylesheets? And I think they do. With all the restriction in place that you suggested earlier (no secondary resource load of the external SVG resource), is there a strong need to handle SVG resources differently than CSS stylesheets? As far as I know CSS stylesheets do not follow strict cross origin restrictions. Why would SVG resources need to do it?

Greetings,
Dirk