Re: [filter-effects][css-masking] Move security model for resources to CSP

On Jun 2, 2013, at 12:13 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Webkit doesn't actually convert the input strings to IRIs until much
> later in the pipeline, which leads to all sorts of inconsistencies in
> its handling of URIs, in my experience, depending on which codepath
> converts to IRI and which just uses the input string and what they do
> with the input strings.
>
> I would be strongly opposed to doing the WebKit thing in Gecko, because
> it's a very difficult model to not mistakes in, as an engine developer.

What WebKit does depends on where you use IRI referencing and I did not say that Gecko should use the somehow broken behavior of WebKit.

> On 6/1/13 11:11 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> That is my concern, precisely.  Once you have some piece of geometry
>> being used as a clip, you can get its geometry information to whatever
>> precision you want using elementFromPoint.  Furthermore, you can get
>> color information too, using a combination of filters and
>> pointer-events, as far as I can tell.  See
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Sep/0112.html
>
> Er, sorry.  This was much more confused than I thought when I wrote it.
>  Let me try again.
>
> If you have geometry being used as clip, you can get geometry
> information from it, but not color information.
>
> If you have something being painted on top of other stuff, then
> combining filters and pointer-events seems like it can let you extract
> both geometry and color information.

pointer-events are indeed problematic in it's current definition (SVG 1.1) and we spoke about the security concerns multiple times. I think they should be addressed separately. (I do not think that "draw visible" should be taken literally and make the decision on alpha=0.)

To focus on clip-path: Do I understand you correctly that there is no difference in the security consideration between my two examples (inline path and <use> reference of path in same document)?

If yes. Do you think there is a security breach with the potential recovery of the path data inside of <clipPath>?

Greetings,
Dirk