Re: unsafe-inline for style-src

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 9/19/12 4:19 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

>>> There is no functional different between those two.  Especially not if
>>> you
>>> actually consider:
>>>
>>>    doc.body.style.cssText = "....";
>>
>> There isn't a functional difference, but there is a semantic
>> difference.  One is manipulating the DOM style attribute (which then
>> gets reflected in the styles themselves).  The other is manipulating
>> the styles themselves (which then gets reflected into the DOM style
>> attribute).
>
> Yes, but in which case is this semantic difference something someone writing
> a CSP would care about, given that the resulting functionality is identical?

I should say that I don't really have a strong opinion here.  If
there's another semantics that you prefer strongly, I'm certainly open
to that.

For authors, we should strive for the conceptually clearest semantics.
 The concept I was going for was "don't use the style element or
attribute."  Maybe it's clearer to include the CSSOM as well?  There
isn't really a security benefit to blocking the CSSOM, so it seemed
simpler to allow it.

Adam