Re: ISSUE-4: Policy combination

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Hill, Brad <bhill@paypal-inc.com> wrote:
> I have been curious for a while now: in every instance previous to "first-wins", policy combinations resulted in the least privilege implied by the union.  But when an enforceable policy and a report-only policy are both present, report-only gets to override and negate enforcement.  This behavior remains in the new "first-wins" language.

I believe the reverse is true.  If there's at least one
Content-Security-Policy header, the first such header is enforced.  If
there's a Report-Only header, then the first such takes effect only if
there isn't a Content-Security-Policy header.

> What's the reason for this exception to the general philosophy?

The case where it's different is the following:

200 OK blah blah

First of all, servers MUST NOT send such responses (they're only
allowed to send one of these headers).  That means the server is
misconfigured, and the safer thing seems to be to actually enforce the
policy.  Otherwise, the site could be running insecurely and the
server operator wouldn't realize it.

> I admit I'm being lazy here in not trawling the archives, but it is at least an on-topic question now. :)

I'm not sure we had a full discussion about it.  That was just the
behavior in the document originally and I preserved it during the
edit.  If folks think some other behavior is better, we can certainly
change the document.

Adam