Re: Update on Microdata?

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 01:30:17 +0200, Léonie Watson <tink@tink.uk> wrote:

> Chaals and Danbri,
>
> Could you give the WG an update on your timeline to Rec? Thanks.

We've closed out the last issues: https://github.com/w3c/microdata and I
am ready to request publication of a Working Draft now.

We think the spec is ready for CR. In particular, we have had implementors
following it closely, and a lot of the work has been to bring it closer to
what is already implemented interoperably. We expect to demonstrate that
there are multiple implementations, both in readily available parsers and
in widely deployed consumer tools such as the webmaster tools offered by
Google, Microsoft and Yandex to chec microdata for schema.org.

As shown by the common data crawl there is a large amount of microdata
deployed on the web - primarily using a small handful of vocabularies with
schema.org being the major use case. It is used in both small and large
websites.

Microdata is pretty weak technically in key areas like
internationalisation, but we have actively discussed this and got review
and, I believe, sign off on our approach from i18n, apa, as well as review
by the privacy working group.

In order to prepare for CR I will request formal sign off from those
groups, and prepare a set of tests - as noted elsewhere in the thread,
Gregg Kellogg has done a lot of work in this direction already.

cheers

Chaals

--
Chaals: Charles (McCathie) Nevile    find more at https://yandex.com