Re: Planning for TPAC

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 10:18 PM, <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> Hi Olli,
>
> 04.04.2017, 19:12, "Olli Pettay" <olli@pettay.fi>:
> > Hi Léonie, all
> >
> > given that TPAC will be hold in a country with hostile-to-humankind
> government, I sure some people will
> > skip physical attendance @TPAC this time.
>
> Actually people do that every time, but yes I anticipate it being an
> annoying challenge.
>
> > So, it might be good to ensure particularly good ways to attend meetings
> remotely.
> > Usually attending meetings remotely has been challenging, but perhaps
> there is something to do there? Video conference maybe?
> > (not sure which system is reliable enough. Google Hangouts tends to not
> work, Vidyo is quite ok, but might not be free, Skype is rather good but
> > doesn't it limit the number of participants...)
>
> I will look into this. I don't anticipate carrying a 40" screen in my
> luggage, but I imagine that the price of hiring one from the hotel is about
> an order of magnitude more than the purchase price with delivery.
>
> A possible alternative would be to get a small projector that does fit in
> my luggage, maybe a webcam, and dedicate a laptop to webex, which does have
> video. Less than ideal, but then, so are the conditions in the room as a
> rule…
>
> I imagine the most important piece of equipment - apart from a scribe who
> takes careful notes - would be a few microphones that people use. Maybe
> we'll have the sound desk setup that we have sometimes had.
>
> In any event, we'll do our best to ensure we have a half-reasonable
> system, wifi permittin' and the crick don' rise.
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals

FWIW, I've participated via voice on a number of occasions, it's hard in
long meetings but doable.  We did webex I think for one of the Houdini
meetings that was (I think?) overseas for me that I couldn't attend and
there were a few of us attending that way -  Pretty sure that was at a
mozilla office and they used a projector and our webcam and that was not
too bad at all.

--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell