Extraneous reference to 3166 in appmanifest

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 19:33:46 +0000
To: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
Dear Webapps,

I was looking at [1] today. I noticed this text in section 8.2:

--
A language tag is a string that matches the production of a Language-Tag defined in the [BCP47] specifications (see the IANA Language Subtag Registry for an authoritative list of possible values, see also the Maintenance Agency for ISO 3166 country codes)
--

I'm wondering why the reference to ISO 3166 country codes is maintained in addition to the IANA Language Subtag Registry. The IANA registry contains all of the 3166 values in a stabilized fashion and tracks changes to 3166. Is there a purpose to maintaining the additional reference (especially since other standards referenced by BCP 47 are not mentioned (e.g. ISO 639-1/-2/-3, UN M.49, ISO15927)?

Thanks,

Addison

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/appmanifest/#lang-member

Addison Phillips