Re: [XHR]

Sounds like you want access to partial binary data.

There's some propitiatory features in Firefox which lets you do this
(added ages ago). See [1]. However for a cross-platform solution we're
still waiting for streams to be available.

Hopefully that should be soon, but of course cross-browser support
across all major browsers will take a while. Even longer if you want
to be compatible with old browsers still in common use.

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/XMLHttpRequest/responseType

/ Jonas