Re: File API - where are the missing parts?

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Joshua Bell <jsbell@google.com> wrote:
> I'm also very interested in hearing from other browser implementers; Chrome
> is in the odd position of having made investments in related areas
> (FileSystem API and FileWriter API) that did not see adoption in other
> browsers, which is a disincentive to proceed here.

I think we should really separate the type of APIs that Chrome
implemented, which grants access to sandboxed filesystems, from APIs
that lets a page interact with the user's filesystem.

The two are generally much more different than they are similar.

I think for mozilla implementing APIs which provide access to an
origin-sandboxed filesystem is relatively small right now.

I think we're much more interested in APIs which allow reading and
writing to the user's filesystem. I couldn't give any timelines for
when we'd implement any proposals, but I'd personally be happy to
provide feedback to drafts. And I'd be even more happy to see other
browsers experiment with the various UX challenges involved.

/ Jonas